Sunday, June 21, 2009

Garlic Scape Omelet

When I saw the first bunches of garlic scapes this year, I quickly thought of all the wonderful things I couldn't wait to make. I knew the season was short so I'd have to act fast. But life got really busy and time whizzed by. I was crestfallen when I realized that the window had closed and I'd have to wait another year for those garlicky shoots with that asparagus crunch.

Or so I thought. There was a farmer at the Saturday University District farmers' market selling the last of his scape crop. I expressed my relief as I quickly paid for a bunch. When he asked how I planned to prepare them, I didn't hesitate: omelets.

I first became familiar with cooking garlic scapes in the Basque Country of Spain, where they often eat them with eggs. What a perfect combination: creamy, velvety eggs wrapped a
round crunchy, savory stalks. So delicious. But I thought that the addition of soft goat cheese would hit it out of the ballpark... and I was right.

Garlic Scape Omelet
Just a few simple ingredients are needed for this fulfilling dish. This recipe yields a large, two-to-three-person omelet.

1 tablespoon lard or butter
1 bunch garlic scapes (3-4 stalks), washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
6 eggs
Splash cold water (about 2 tablespoons)
Pinch Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Soft goat cheese
Fresh herbs (parsley or chives work best), chopped

In a large cast iron skillet, melt lard/butter over medium heat. Add scapes and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove to paper towels and set aside.

In a small bowl, whip eggs, cold water, salt, pepper and some chopped herbs wit
h a fork until well mixed. Heat the same skillet over medium heat, adding a bit more lard/butter if necessary. Pour egg mixture into skillet and let cook until the bottom layer firms. Sprinkle cooked scapes evenly over the eggs along with small dollops of goat cheese. Cover briefly until most of the eggs have cooked, about 4 minutes. Using a wide spatula, loosen omelet edges and fold one half over the other. Remove from pan and serve sprinkled with freshly chopped herbs.




1 comment:

Wes Port said...

Oh, MAN! I lived in Pais Vasco for awhile!! But I don't think I ever ate Garlic Scapes. I need to experience this, and your recipe looks super-GOOD. Do you have any favorite Basque restaurants or suggestions for tapas here in Seattle? Andrew