Monday, July 6, 2009

Old School Frozen Custard

This post has me pretty excited. Number one: I'm from New York. Number two: I extol the deliciousness of custard, in all its forms, on a regular basis. So when Old School Frozen Custard opened the doors of their new Capitol Hill location, I was delirious with joy. This creamier, smoother, eggier version of ice cream originated on Coney Island in the 1920's and, like corn dogs, gained popularity as a carnival treat. Up until recently, however, Seattleites had no idea what they were missing.

In my opinion, good custard doesn't need a whole lot of bells and whistles. If it can stand alone, why adulterate it with candy bar pieces, sprinkles, cookies or caramel sauce? I'll take plain vanilla, please! And that's exactly what I did yesterday. We took my sister Sarah, who was visiting from NY, out for frozen custard in a subconscious attempt to prove that Seattle is slowly catching up on the list of east coast amenities. I was very pleased - Old School nailed it. The vanilla custard couldn't have been any smoother or creamier, and the house made waffle cones were light, crisp and barely kissed with cinnamon. I'm a purist, but if you're a fan of "confetti" food, they also offer decadent sundaes, shakes and daily flavor specials.

Now if we can only get some decent bagels out here...



1 comment:

Marcy said...

Eeek! How exciting. When I lived in Columbus there was the best frozen custard shop down the street from my apartment, but I haven't had any in over 6 years now. After reading your post, I am definitely going to try Old School. Thanks for spreading the news to me out in the suburbs.